Communication is the single most important part of any relationship--including business relationships. Effective communication is so important for organizational success that not only managers, but also employees must have good communication skills. Here are a few quick tips on how to improve your business communication:
- Focus on the situation, not the person. Don’t attack the person’s character, but deal with the issues.
- Don’t group people. If one person is violating company policy, manage that person, not the people who are following the rules.
- Communicate expectations. Clearly share your expectations with your employees. That way there are clear expectations with no misunderstandings.
- Be a good listener. Remain silent, keep eye contact and watch non-verbal behavior.
- Share the success. People will work harder and smarter if they know how the work they are doing contributes to an end result.
Effective communication skills in the workplace will improve your ability to be a strong leader. These tips for improving workplace communication can be implemented and perfected by anyone. Take an honest look at your own communication skills, and then choose one of the above to improve upon.
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." - Mark Twain